Friday 13 January 2012

Group 2A-5 

Activity 7: Spreadsheets as a learning resource

I must confess that I had never heard of the principle of 'just in time learning'.  I think it really makes a lot of sense especially in relation to the use of the computer. I have often heard the saying, "if you don't use it, you lose it" and this is so true when you link it to learning about how to use the computer, rather than learning with the computer.  I have attended courses that taught me how to use Excel and how to use databases, but because I have not been using these tools on a regular basis, my skill in using them is at best minimal.  In comparison, I am now forced, in this course to learn more about and use Excel and now my competence level has improved tremendously, while the database skill level is as low as it has ever been.

I like to work with the computer, but this course is presenting me with so many new ways of  working and learning with the computer; it's like venturing out into a whole new world. 

This way of teaching and learning with the computer has implications for the teaching of IT skills. It suggests that IT should not be regarded as a subject on its own but rather integrated into teaching and learning as a tool to enhance the teaching/learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment