Thursday 12 January 2012

Group 1B-4 


Activity 4b: Minimally Invasive Education

I see this type of education becoming the norm as children are now learning to be less dependent on teaches to construct knowledge for them.  They are now more eager to explore and experience learning concepts in a new way.  It clearly demonstrates that:
  • we cannot continue to use a one-size fits-all approach to teaching.
  • We will be forced to find new strategies to produce more independent and innovative learners.
  • We must understand that teachers will no longer take centre- stage in classrooms.
  • ICT is a key factor in promoting this kind of learning; however, students do not need to be taught the how of using the computer as much as they need to know the why and when.
I have learnt quite a lot from doing this activity and as a result, I am more keenly aware of how students learn and how they should be taught.  I was especially fascinated with Dr. Mitra's work, because I, (and I believe that there are many others like me) held the view that children must be taught how to use the computer before actually using it to do anything.  His work has reawakened in me the idea that children, left to explore can and will construct their own knowledge and make their own discoveries about a wide array of new knowledge and concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment